A blog from an anti-consumerism consumer psychologist.

Monday, July 24, 2006

And the sleep study results are in...

I met with my sleep doctor a couple of weeks ago to get my sleep study results. The first thing he said to me was "I have some very good news". At first, I thought this meant that he'd found a problem - like I definitely had sleep apnea or something. But then he said "There's nothing wrong with you". I felt very disappointed with this news. This wasn't good news at all. I desparately wanted something to be wrong with me, because if something was wrong with me, then that meant there was something that could be fixed.

Anyway, it turned out there was actually something wrong with me: I spend too much time in bed. I do this because I figure that the more time I spend in bed, the greater the chance of me sleeping for longer. According to the sleep doctor, this is entirely illogical (BUT a common mistake made by us sleep amateurs). So he put me on a sleep restriction program. This means that I am only allowed to be in bed between midnight and 7am (even on weekends - no more sleep ins) AND I am no longer allowed to read in bed. Bed is only for sleep and sex, although I'm not sure if sex needs to fall within the 12-7 window. I am assuming it doesn't.

So I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now and I think it's working. I feel heaps less tired during the day and I suddenly feel like I have double the amount of time to do stuff on weekends (although I do feel like a bit of a loser going on Saturday morning jogs at 7.30am, while all the other "cool" kids of Surry are having sleep ins from massive nights out).

So, all you insomniacs that are reading this, I highly recommend a dose of sleep restriction. I think it could even be the answer to many of the problems in the world today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home