A blog from an anti-consumerism consumer psychologist.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

The kindness of strangers

I caught the train into work yesterday morning. A couple of guys sat on the seat opposite me. They had clearly been out on a big night and it was one of those bizarre moments where nightlife and daylife cross paths. One of the guys started talking to me, which at 8am, I wasn't really up for. At any rate, we chatted for a bit and then I got off at my station.

I was recounting this story (if you can call it a story...well, it's not really a story, is it...kind of more like an extended moment in time) to a friend over dinner last night. I was talking about the fact that it was kind of disarming having a stranger strike up a conversation with me so early in the day. My friend was surprised at my comment. She reminded me that I used to be that person that would talk to strangers and how I had talked about how Sydneysiders were always taken aback when a stranger (i.e. me) started talking to them. And I had one of those moments where I thought "shit, I've turned into one of THOSE people".

So, I am going to make an effort to remember to talk to strangers more often. Because it's kind of nice. If nothing else, you'll generally get a good story (or moment) for your efforts. And if you're lucky, you might even make that stranger's day a tiny bit better than it would have been otherwise.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »

6:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »

10:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home